Saturday 29 January 2011

Shoes

Jackie says I may risk losing our blog audience with my following blog but I'm going ahead anyway.

Last week I treated myself to a new pair of running shoes, they arrived on my birthday as it happened.

I had decided to buy the same model of running shoes as my last pair as they'd served me well. I could have gone for the more recent model but decided to save the extra £20.

So on my birthday my new Mizuno Wave Creation 11 running shoes arrived. The only difference from my previous pair being my new ones are red, my old ones are yellow. Presumably I'll be able to run faster with red running shoes.

Another difference between the two pairs of shoes is the more than 1,700 kilometres I've run in the old ones, which gives an interesting opportunity for comparison.

My old shoes weigh 6grams less than the new ones. We figure that is from the tread which has warn off, which is probably greater than the moisture (sweat) and dirt they've accumulated. It's also interesting (for me at least) to see how much the old shoes have been squashed, the cushioning parts of the shoe are noticably lower in the old shoes than the new ones.

Despite the old pair having less tread, more dirt and moisture and less cushioning, the one thing they do have is that they are moulded to my feet and my running style. My new ones still feel foreign and will take a while to wear in.

So a few photos for comparison...
New shoes on the left in case you couldn't tell


More white spungy stuff in the new shoe, also the gap between the sole and shoe on the left is smaller than the new shoe

Tread on the old shoe has started to disappear. Notice the large amount of dirt on the old shoe sole which is an indication of how much tread must have been taken off for it to still weigh less than the new clean shoes. 

More tread comparisons, at the front this time. The even wearing of the tread is a good sign that the shoe works for me in having an even strike and stride, which hasn't always been the case with my shoes. 

Shoe kiss. 
So hopefully we don't lose our audience, next blog coming up on Jackie's wisdom tooth being removed, hopefully will post that tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Seem to have gained at least one reader/commenter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan loved this blog - possibley more than the wisdom blog, which, and I'm sorry for this Jackie, we found hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some old crocs and some slippers which one should stay up wind from , would any one care to see them ?
    julie

    ReplyDelete