Monday 4 April 2011

Celebrating the cricket world cup

On Saturday I was doing some work, listening to India play Sri Lanka in the cricket world cup final. Jackie was out shopping.

It was a pretty exciting game, with the momentum swinging between the teams.

When Jackie got back from shopping I gave her the run down on the game, she feigned interest although I was surprised that when I suggested we go to Tooting for a curry to celebrate India's impending victory she agreed. But then the momentum swung towards Sri Lanka, to which Jackie coolly suggested that we would have to go to Hop and Spice (our local Sri Lankan curry house) instead.

So it was, the outcome of the game was going to determine our choice of meal for the evening.

As you're probably aware India won...
The champions celebrate with the World Cup trophy

So we trundled down the road to Spice Village, the nearest decent curry house to us in the suburb of Tooting which is well known in London as having some of the best curry houses around.



I'd been for a decent run in the morning so was hungry, so we ordered:
Pakoras

Popadoms

Chicken Tikka Masala

Chana Masala 

Two Naans (one plain and one garlic) 

Rice 

And a mango lassi for me (Jackie had a can of Fanta) 

We managed to get through pretty much all of it and it came to just over £20.

After dinner we rolled ourselves across the road to an Ice Cream parlor called Afters (http://www.aftersoriginal.co.uk/) , unfortunately there are no photos of it online, it's a pretty funny place with a big pink motorbike in the front window. After much deliberation Jackie got an ice cream (raspberry, coconut and something else) in a waffle cone. I'd done myself in on the curry so abstained from having ice cream.

One of the interesting stories about Afters, apart from having a pink motorcycle in the front window, is that Salman Butt, the former captain of the Pakistan cricket team, who was suspended for match fixing, claimed that part of the cash that was found in his hotel room came from Afters as payment for him attending the opening of Afters. As mentioned in the following Guardian newspaper article... http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/dec/13/salman-butt-pakistan-spot-betting-scandal

There wasn't as much wild celebrations going on in Tooting as I'd expected, a few people wandering around in their India cricket shirts but nothing over the top. I suppose it confirms what everyone says that all the curry houses in London are run by Bangladeshi's.

Ah well, it was a good excuse for a curry and we had a great celebration all the same.

3 comments:

  1. Man I love curry.

    [Dang it, this comment was totally by the fact that blogger now has banned strikethrough in comments! "I love cricket ... I mean curry"]

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's ok, i think we get it. added mildly related video. i tried to find an 'i love curry' cover but no joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aha I cracked it, here is my second attempt:

    I don't like curry (oh no) - I love it.

    ReplyDelete