Sunday 10 July 2011

Family Ties

It's been a family week for Jackie and I.

It started on Monday when we had Jackie's cousin Jen over for dinner. We reprised the lasagna dish from an earlier blog post and finished off with homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Jen brought a nice bottle of Italian red which went well with the meal, between the two of us we polished off. The big topic of the night was Jen's big Oxfam Trailwalker walk which she is doing next weekend, it's a 100km walk in the South Downs, quite a challenge but it sounds like she has been doing all the right training.

More about this walk for those that are interested can be found here...http://www.oxfam.org.uk/trailwalker, if you fancy sponsoring Jen and her team to give them the extra motivation to get over the finish line you can do so easily online by clicking here.

Then on Saturday (yesterday) my cousin Hannah and her boyfriend Jim had a farewell at a great pub (The Edinboro Castle) in Camden. Jackie was working so I was flying solo on this one, I bought the paper for the journey up the Northern Line. It was a fine day and they had a great spot outside. Had a good catch up with them, they've been travelling around the UK and Europe for the past few months so it was great to hear their stories. It was a shame I couldn't stay longer as the bbq that was going smelled so good but I had to get home to cook for my working wife. I made bbq chicken wraps to make up for not getting to eat at the pub.

And today we took my other London based cousin, Carla, out for a birthday treat lunch. We went to an amazing tea shop in Barnes, which is just a few train stops away. The tea shop is called Orange Pekoe, which is apparently a name derived from a grade of tea leaves.

We started with ice tea for Carla and I, Jackie had a Chai. To eat Jackie had the vegetarian platter, I had the ploughmans and Carla had the smoked salmon salad. All the meals were large servings, pictures below, but we knew we wanted to have cake as well. That didn't stop me eating all of mine, some of Carla's bread and Jackie's cheese and pickled onions.

The three of us with our meals before we got stuck in

Jackie's vege platter

My ploughman's

Carla's smoked salmon salad


For pudding Jackie had a fruit scone with clotted cream and jam, I had the carrot cake, as did Carla. We all shared a pot of Afternoon Blend Tea. Very delicious and civilised. I would definitely go back there again -  thanks to Carla for once again introducing us to a great place in London.

Outside after stuffing our faces, it was a bit of a walk back to the station (via Fara kids shop) which was good. We also got off at Clapham Junction to walk to Balham to try and walk off some of the cake too. At least we don't need dinner now. 

And for a bit of nostalgia linked to the title of this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment