Monday 30 July 2012

London Olympics 2012 iii

Lots of stuff to update on following my last Olympics update...

First of all more torch sightings. On Friday the torch made its final journey to the Olympic park along the Thames from Hampton Court. As my office is right next to the Thames the I left for work a bit early and watched the torch go past along the river along with thousands of other early birds.



That night we went to a friends house for bbq and to watch the opening ceremony. None of us were particularly impressed with the ceremony although I did like the humorous touches, particularly Mr Bean, I laughed so hard I woke Theo up. We did also appreciate that London were doing something quintessentially British rather than some big and brash generic display.

Saturday and Sunday we gave our new tv a real work out. The cycling road race being of particular interest although I did also get my fill of archery, fencing, taekwondo, gymnastics, swimming, hockey, handball, beach volleyball, basketball, dressage and probably some others too.

Below is more evidence of the the Olympics existing on my way to work and where I work...

Signs directing people to Wimbledon for the tennis

View from my office, Olympic banner "Inspire a generation"

Olympic bunting next to the river at work

Barriers up ready for the time trial cycling, practice on Tuesday and the main event on Wednesday, it goes right past my office but unfortunately I've got a meeting on the Wednesday so will only see an hour or so of the cycling. 

There is a great buzz around town. Everywhere you go there are Olympic volunteers in their purple outfits heading towards their venue to do their work.

Our tickets aren't until the last weekend but we're hoping to head in to town to soak up some of the atmosphere.

Hope you're enjoying the games where ever you are

2 comments:

  1. Watching bits and pieces but so many channels its a matter of flicking here and there which I hate doing. We enjoyed the edited highlights of the opening ceremony very much, but I gather it stretched out over 4 hours which might have made it a little tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there isn't going to be much productivity in the UK over the next few weeks, going by your commentary here! Those darn meetings interrupting the road race! We enjoyed watching the opening ceremony on Sat morning here and have watched a wee bit of swimming in the mornings as we're getting ready for our day. Difficult when all the action happens throughout our night-time, and we certainly don't have many TV channels to flick through - just Prime, which is fine. Enjoying the updates from you :)

    ReplyDelete