Saturday 26 January 2013

Birthday, flying solo

For the second year in a row I had to have my birthday without my family. Last year I was away at a work conference.

This year Jackie and Theo were NZ.

It's pretty sad being on your own on your birthday but I had a pretty good day.

I had already received a couple of birthday cards and a parcel, which I didn't open until the 25th. I had an added surprise when I spoke to Jackie, she had hidden a bunch of presents in the flat. She told me where to find them so I was able to open them while on the phone. There were two really nice cards, one from Jackie and one from Theo. It really made for a great start to the day.

I decided to have a day in the city, a nice coffee and brunch, walk around and then go to a movie.

I went to foxcroft and ginger for coffee and brunch. I came prepared with the paper to read. The coffee was very good, pan au chocolat was ok. I had a corn and potato fritter, it was more like a frittata than a fritter but still quite nice. I also had a fresh mint tea. I was there for a couple of hours just reading the paper and watching people come and go. Being in central London, Soho to be precise, it can be interesting viewing.


I then ambled through Leicester Square to the movie theatre. Going to the movies is a bit of a treat for me, I like going to the movies but never get the chance to go. I wanted to see the Hobbit but it wasn't on so I saw Skyfall instead, I'm a sucker for Bond films. I had a big hot chocolate and really enjoyed the film.

After the film I headed back to Tooting. A friend was having me over for dinner but I had some time to kill, but not enough time to bother going home. So I went and had a pint  at a new cafe/bar call Gravney and Meadow  in Tooting and read some more paper.

home


After that pint I went to another bar, Tooting Tram and Social, which is just a few steps down the road for a pint and more paper reading. The tram and social is based in an old tram shed, it's pretty cool.


Then one more pint and paper, this time at The Antelope, just a few more steps down the road.

Add caption

Then it was time to go and have a delicious dinner, complete with dessert.

So all in all I had a really good day, but next year I'm going to make sure that whatever happens I am with my family for my birthday.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a terrific birthday! Seems like you are making the most of your time alone. Great to hear how it went :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens when papers go totally digital?? Take your ipad I guess

    ReplyDelete