Wednesday 2 February 2011

Glass overtakes Ceramics

About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to start collecting ceramics (primarily functional domestic tableware). Simon wasn't too happy about my new found hobby but I managed to convince him that shipping all my purchases back to NZ when we eventually head home wouldn't cost a fortune. Ceramics have always interested me from my days at Masterworks Gallery. So I started scouting in charity shops for pieces to add to my collection. Charity shops in the UK are of a very high standard clean, tidy and with really good quality merchandise (I buy quite a lot of 2nd hand clothes and books but that's a whole other blog) and they are everywhere. Just in Balham alone there is six and they are all pretty good. I assume they must get some sort of subsidised rents as they occupy prime shopping locations on all high streets. I wanted to collect tableware so that we would actually get to use it not just have it on a shelf collecting dust.

Ceramics so far.......

Poole England
This set is a recent purchase. I spotted the cups and saucers in one shop but wasn't 100% sure I wanted them so carried on to another charity shop and found the teapot then had to race back to get the matching pieces

Windmill logo made in England
I found these in York again from two different shops.

Left: WAKBRZYCH Made in Poland (Purchased Rye)
Centre: Windmill logo made in England (Purchased York)
Right: Staffordshire Potteries Ltd, UK (Purchased York)

Made in England
These are great soup bowls with a green and fine gold rim.

Myott Son & Co Made in England
Very pretty oval platters

Jug: Melbaware England
We use this jug all the time it's a favourite!

Brought this plate today at Oxfam in Tooting £1.49 I couldn't resist the botanical print.

My collection has started slowly with very few ceramic pieces catching my eye so I have decided to collect glass as well after picking up some pretty pink dishes will post photos of glass separately.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jack
    My pair of green vases are bigger than your ones !! Love the amber water set.
    mum

    ReplyDelete