Friday 2 August 2013

Commute #1 Tooting to Kingston

Long commutes to work have been part of my whole working life. That will probably change when we move to Hamilton.

In Sydney I commuted through Darling Harbour when living in Glebe and when living in Neutral Bay I commuted over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, with a view of the Sydney Opera House.

Those were two pretty great commutes. I've been fortunate in London that both the jobs I've had have required me to travel away from the centre of London, therefore I'm going in the more quiet direction of travel and I've not had to use the Underground.

My commute to Kingston is pretty decent. The other day I took some photos along the way.

From Moyser Road I walk down Ribblesdale

As I walk down Ribblesdale I quite often see the milkman delivering from his electric powered truck

Looking down Southcroft Rd

Sometimes if I'm running late or it's raining I'll catch a bus on Southcroft Road
Walking down Deal St. Sometimes I take Deal, sometimes I take Eastbourne all the way

Links Road, sometimes I have to run down here if I think I'm going to miss my train

At Tooting Rail Station

Today I caught the 0756 train to Wimbeldon, which was on time. They usually are on time or just a couple of minutes delayed, which is fine. 

Enough time to grab one of the free papers

Oooh, train is here...

You might think this is a lot of people. It's not. I usually get a seat.

Good seat today, settle down to the paper

Royals on the front page

A Wayne Rooney story, accompanied by a picture or Rory McIlroy on the back pages
Plenty of space 

This is where it gets a bit busy, off the train at Wimbledon, onto the overpass.

Looking down from the overpass

I've not once been tempted by the food available on the overpass

Starbucks on the platform at Wimbledon where I get my Kingston train.

I see this guy from time to time, doing his morning streches on the platform, this is one of the many not normal things you see in London. There is so much weird stuff in London people don't bat an eyelid when someone starts limbering up on Platform 6.


Waiting for the train

Don't know if these people knew I was taking their photo

Off the train at Kingston, it's usually busier than this

Exiting the station

Crossing at Kingston station

Another Starbucks

The French Connection banner changes often enough to be interesting

Kingston town centre is heaving with foot traffic in the middle of the day, it's quite peaceful first thing though

This is All Saints Church where the first King of England was crowned. Kingston has some pretty impressive history but I'm not sure if it has the profile it should

Big project on at the moment to restore the church

Restoration work underway

My Local Hero. A great flat white and friendly service, I'm in here most mornings. 

One of Jackie's favourite shops, she'll miss Cath Kidston when we're in NZ

Kingston Market Place. Fruit, vege, fish, meat, fresh bread and food stalls. I don't visit as much as I should and I'm sure I'll miss the access to cheap, fresh, quality food so close to work. 

Where could this alley way lead?
Evidence of more starbucks

My morning coffee

Hello River Thames

A great walk along the riverside to work

Woody's bar is a great, quirky, independent bar

Narrow boats with character, permanently moored at Kingston


All the swans were snoozing

Steins - for German beer, schnitzel and sausage

Who's that in the reflection?

My office


View Commute - Kingston in a larger map

I start with a 1.5km walk and finish with a 1.2 km walk so get a fair bit of exercise everyday even if I don't go for a jog. It's definitely longer than I'd like for a commute but I do enjoy the walk along the river, whatever the weather it's a very relaxing and refreshing start to the day. 

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic post!! Loved every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie can get Cath Kidson on line. Maybe she can wean herself gradually off it as she gets used to the Hamilton stores.
    What time do you have to leave home to get to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. usually leave by around 7.35 to get the 7.56 train. 20 min to do the walk is comfortable, although if in a rush I can get to tooting station in about 14 min

      Delete