Saturday 27 August 2011

My last hurrah

Last weekend I went on my last golf trip for possibly many years. There is four of us who have done three such trips over the past year, all have been great successes.

This last one was relatively local at the Donnington Valley Golf Club.

We arrived in good time, checked in to our hotel and got the hotel cart to take us to the golf club for our first round. We arrived at the pro shop with heaps of time, unfortunately it was absolutely pouring down so we loitered in the pro shop, one of the group managed to spend £100 on a new golf club and wet weather jacket. The rest of us took the time to put our wet weather gear on.

The rain eased enough to allow us to have a few practice puts and by the time we were due to tee off the rain had stopped so umbrellas could be put away.

Things started very poorly for me, first shot out of bounds. Third shot into the trees, fourth shot further into the trees and I was still a long way from the hole. Rather than increase my frustrations I picked up and didn't finish the hole not a good way to start the round. Second hole wasn't much better although I did at least finish this hole. Third hole, big drive to a good spot and finished with a  par. I think maybe I got a par on the fourth as well (can't remember and don't have the card for that day). So I kind of had my round back on track.

The next few holes went as per usual, some good shots, some not so good.

The ninth hole is probably one of the shortest par threes on a full golf course I've played. 100 yards, the pin placement was very friendly, just slightly towards front of centre.


If you're reading this blog on a computer, have a look at the keyboard, if the enter key was the left edge of the hole, my ball landed at about the J and finished at about the A. Unfortunately there was no one at the clubhouse watching but I was pretty chuffed all the same. Closest I've been to a hole in one I'd say. Tapped in for a birdie to finish the front nine in a much better fashion than I started.

I can't recall too many highlights from the back nine, I did take a very unusual and challenging route to the par 5 15th but got there in the end. I think it was on the 17th that I won the Yellow Shirt competition, which might be the topic of another blog post some day. Needless to say I was pleased to be able to give Marshall back the yellow aussie shirt which is a horrible shame to have to posses.

Meanwhile the weather had cleared and it was a great finish to the round, quick pint at the clubhouse, back to the hotel for a sauna, spa and swim before heading to dinner - lamb shanks for all but one of us.

Next day started with spa and swim to refresh legs. Big breakfast from the buffet, including taking a couple of takeaways for lunch. At the club house in time for putting practice - why does that never help?

I started slightly better than the previous day with a cautious 6 iron in the middle of the first fairway, I couldn't see the green for my second shot though as it was over a slight hill, without thinking I hit my second shot straight as a die, out of bounds. Having not finished the hole the previous day I didn't realise it broke to the right a bit. Anyway I did finish the hole this time. Par on the 3rd again and finished the front nine with two pars, no repeat of my day 1 heroics on the 9th.

At some stage there was a bit of an altercation on the course, I hit the ball into some trees, the ball actually bounced off a trunk into the middle of the fairway. Thommo then got accosted by the people playing in front of us who felt I should have shouted fore. Either way the guy got agro at Thommo, which in turn wound Thommo up which wasn't on especially as I think it made Thommo play better which wasn't ideal as me and Marsh were already struggling.

Back nine wasn't so flash although I had beaten Marshall by the 15th hole which gave us the chance to focus on winning the team competition (me and Marsh play against Lobby and Thommo). Unfortunately with close to 20 shots between us on the 17th it was game over and the final skin and pride to play for on the last.

I shot 99 on both days, always pleased to shoot under 100 so pleased with that.

Another great weekend, thanks to Marshall for organising, Lobby for driving and Thommo for scoring. I didn't really contribute much other than my company, which is probably worth it.

Anyway a few photos, all these were taken on the Sunday:

The clubhouse

My £60 set of clubs, the price included the bag. Admittedly the driver cracked on first use but it still kind of works

Thommo, our resident pro and score keeper, shot 78 on day 2!

Marshall, my playing partner but also adversary in the Yellow Shirt competition.

Lobby, our driver and much improved golfer since we first played last year

The 9th hole

Thommo teeing off into the 9th.

Marshall playing in to the green on the 18th - where's your new rain jacket Marsh? ;)

Discussing the day


2 comments:

  1. Marvellous commentary. Top weekend. Hope to do it again in around 18 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summation of the weekend. Looking forward to our next meet in 2029.

    ReplyDelete