Tuesday 2 August 2011

No such thing as a free lunch, but how about a free dinner?

Jackie went to pregnancy yoga tonight, on her walk home a young boy thrust a Indian takeaway menu at her. The menu was for a new Indian takeaway that was opening up right next to Du Cane Court, where we live. The young lad encouraged her to go in to the takeaway where it turns out they were giving away free curry.

The takeaway is called Rajah Rowing Team (http://www.rajahrowingteam.com/), and is the second branch of this takeaway, the first being in nearby Putney.

Having worked up an appetite at yoga, Jackie dutifully took the paper plate thrust upon her, filled it with curry and headed upstairs to the flat to tuck into her feed and call me to tell me the good news.

My train was just coming in to Balham and now I had an extra reason to get through the crowds at Balham station. I weaved my way through the plodding crowds who clearly had no idea that there was free curry less than a kilometre away.

I fast walked all the way to the curry place, strolled in and was not disappointed. A paper plate given to me I set about filling it as high as it could go without crumpling. The staff were so friendly offering drinks and just generally making everyone feel welcome.

Having loaded up my plate I headed upstairs to the flat and proceeded to make a pig of myself, it tasted pretty good.

That should be the end of the story but I had to go downstairs to pick up a parcel - new running shoes, blog coming soon - so I took this opportunity to go back for seconds. Is that bad? I was dressed in different clothes to make sure they didn't recognise me. After loading up my second plate one of the staff approached me, it was a chap I had spoken to on my first visit, "Excuse me sir....." I thought I was busted ".... would you like a drink?" Brilliant.

Indian food never looks the best but this tasted great. Butter chicken, dhal and sag  gosht (or ghost as spelt in their menu)

Me tucking in to round 2. I did manage to save some for my lunch tomorrow as well. 

1 comment: