Wednesday 10 August 2011

Shoe Two

As promised here is an update to my last shoe post. If you need to catch up on the last one you can find it by clicking here

Recently I've been suffering from a sore knee when running. I took two weeks off running as it seemed to be a bit of an overuse injury but I also thought it was probably an indication that I needed new shoes.

I keep a log of all my runs (geek, I know) so was able to go back and have a look at how many km's I've done since I purchased my last pair of shoes. It was well over 1000km's which definitely means it was time to get a new pair.

I wanted to get the same pair as last time as I've still not had any problem with my shoes, plus it would have made for another fascinating comparative analysis for the blog. Unfortunately the Mizuno Wave Creation 11's have been superseded by the 12's and I couldn't find the 11's in my size. So I bought the 12's, they were more expensive than what I've paid for the 11's and some reviews I read said they weren't as good but I figure that they can't be too different and it's less risky than trying a completely new shoe.

So I ordered a pair online and a couple of days later they turned up (the day of the free curry).

I have just weighed the new shoe, it is 393 grams. Interestingly according to the Mizuno website the shoe weighs 370 grams, according to Runners World it weighs 385 grams.

For interest I also weighed my latest Wave 11's, which weigh 391 grams, I can't recall what they weighed when  bought them and inexplicably didn't record it in my last shoe blog.

Anyway, introducing my new Mizuno Wave Creation 12's and the whole Wave Creation Family...

Guess which ones are the new ones. The oldest (Wave Creation 10's) I've been using for tennis recently so are a bit worse for wear. At the moment I'm still wearing my second 11's (the read pair second from right) for training. 

The full line up

The middle two have the same tread (Both 11's) the 12 on the right has changed more dramatically. The 10's, on the left have suffered from tennis, the tread has come away from the sole


Shoe Sun

Comparing the latest two shoes there are a couple of interesting differences, starting with a different sole at the back, it is much flatter in the new shoe and has longer gaps between the sole and shoe.

Quite a different tread in the new shoe

Just different

I think this one highlights the differences the best, the new shoe has a very flat heel, I'm not sure if that is going to have much of an impact. 

Ohhhh, shoe kiss. 

2 comments:

  1. I only need to get through two more pairs of running shoes before I can make a tribute post of my own.

    ReplyDelete